Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- French authorities evacuated 4,000 more people from Atlantic coast resorts, adding to roughly 220,000 already displaced by the southwest wildfire.
- Authorities deployed 23 aircraft and helicopters after new fires broke out near Grand Crohot, west of Bordeaux.
- Two major fires west of Madrid had at times approached one another, while Spanish authorities remained alert as temperatures were forecast to exceed 40 degrees Celsius.
- The Interior Ministry said Tuesday that evacuation orders covering 13 municipalities in two wildfire-affected areas had been withdrawn.
- Government figures showed nearly 100,000 people affected across Castile and León, Madrid and Castile-La Mancha; over 63,000 evacuated and 35,000 confined.
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said firefighting conditions had improved in some areas but warned that the next hours would remain difficult.
AI-generated illustration- Wildfires remain concentrated in southwestern France and central and eastern Spain, with Gironde, western Madrid, Ávila, Toledo and Castellón among the worst-affected areas.
- At least 122,000 hectares have burned in Spain and France, while more than 320,000 people were evacuated and three firefighters died.
- The European Union deployed aircraft, helicopters and firefighting teams from several countries, with additional German helicopters and Turkish aircraft expected for Spain.
- Spain’s prime minister said firefighters were beginning to see signs of progress in battling the forest fires.
- More than 50,000 hectares have burned in Ávila, near Madrid.
- The fires are among the most severe recorded in Spanish history, according to the report.