Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said the Gironde wildfire had been contained, indicating that its flames were no longer spreading.
- The Gironde blaze burned about 42,000 hectares during nine days and destroyed roughly 240 homes near Bordeaux, according to the existing report.
- Firefighters stopped a separate wildfire in southeastern Var after winds pushed it across approximately 1,000 hectares.
- French authorities evacuated 4,000 more people from Atlantic coast resorts, adding to roughly 220,000 already displaced by the southwest wildfire.
- Authorities deployed 23 aircraft and helicopters after new fires broke out near Grand Crohot, west of Bordeaux.
- Two major fires west of Madrid had at times approached one another, while Spanish authorities remained alert as temperatures were forecast to exceed 40 degrees Celsius.
- Spain’s interior ministry ended evacuation orders for 15 municipalities, allowing some residents west of Madrid to return to fire-damaged communities.
- France’s Gironde wildfire has displaced more than 220,000 people, destroyed 240 houses and prompted nearly 60,000 residents to return after officials reported stabilization.
- Spain’s AEMET forecast a heatwave from Wednesday, with temperatures reaching 42°C in the northeast and 39°C in central areas.
AI-generated illustration- Wildfires remain concentrated in southwestern France and central and eastern Spain, with Gironde, western Madrid, Ávila, Toledo and Castellón among the worst-affected areas.
- At least 122,000 hectares have burned in Spain and France, while more than 320,000 people were evacuated and three firefighters died.
- The European Union deployed aircraft, helicopters and firefighting teams from several countries, with additional German helicopters and Turkish aircraft expected for Spain.
- The fire has covered about 42,000 hectares since 22 July, prompting roughly 220,000 evacuations and destroying approximately 240 homes, official figures show.
- The Defence Ministry said 1,500 military personnel had supported emergency operations since Saturday, including efforts to secure industrial sites near Bordeaux.
- The government introduced partial-unemployment support for affected companies, while France Assureurs extended insurance-claim submissions until 31 August.
- Firefighters in southwest France are contending with pyrocumulonimbus clouds while trying to control a forest fire in Gironde.
- Jean-Baptiste Filippi said the fire-generated storms can create winds and lightning capable of spreading embers or starting new fires.
- Filippi said France recorded brief pyrocumulonimbus activity near Landiras, south of Bordeaux, in 2022, but the phenomenon remains relatively new there.
AI-generated illustration- President Emmanuel Macron scheduled an emergency cabinet session on Monday as firefighters worked to contain a major blaze in southwestern France.
- Gironde officials described conditions as generally stable after overnight firefighting, while flames remained within 15 kilometers of Bordeaux.
- The fire threatened a metropolitan area of roughly 850,000 residents, authorities said.
AI-generated illustration- Wildfires in France and Spain have displaced more than 250,000 people, including 70,000 evacuees in central Spain.
- France is preparing an A400M aircraft to spread fire retardant over the Gironde blaze, Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said.
- Authorities ordered evacuations west of Bordeaux as shifting winds threatened to push the fire toward the city.