Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Spain’s interior ministry ended evacuation orders for 15 municipalities, allowing some residents west of Madrid to return to fire-damaged communities.
- France’s Gironde wildfire has displaced more than 220,000 people, destroyed 240 houses and prompted nearly 60,000 residents to return after officials reported stabilization.
- Spain’s AEMET forecast a heatwave from Wednesday, with temperatures reaching 42°C in the northeast and 39°C in central areas.
- The Interior Ministry said Tuesday that evacuation orders covering 13 municipalities in two wildfire-affected areas had been withdrawn.
- Government figures showed nearly 100,000 people affected across Castile and León, Madrid and Castile-La Mancha; over 63,000 evacuated and 35,000 confined.
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said firefighting conditions had improved in some areas but warned that the next hours would remain difficult.
AI-generated illustration- President Emmanuel Macron scheduled an emergency cabinet session on Monday as firefighters worked to contain a major blaze in southwestern France.
- Gironde officials described conditions as generally stable after overnight firefighting, while flames remained within 15 kilometers of Bordeaux.
- The fire threatened a metropolitan area of roughly 850,000 residents, authorities said.