Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Northern Saitama was placed under caution for flooding in low-lying areas.
- The prefecture-wide advisory urged caution over lightning.
- Dense fog in the Chichibu region could reduce visibility.
- Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
- The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
- Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
- UEFA said it had lost confidence in FIFA President Gianni Infantino after the proposed private-investment vehicle was withdrawn.
- Carlos Cordeiro resigned as Infantino’s senior adviser over the plan, while FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour made allegations that Infantino deceived employees.
- The proposal encountered opposition from UEFA’s 55 associations, CONCACAF’s 41 members and the Asian football confederation; UEFA also threatened a boycott of FIFA events.
- Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said the Gironde wildfire had been contained, indicating that its flames were no longer spreading.
- The Gironde blaze burned about 42,000 hectares during nine days and destroyed roughly 240 homes near Bordeaux, according to the existing report.
- Firefighters stopped a separate wildfire in southeastern Var after winds pushed it across approximately 1,000 hectares.
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino announced the proposed private-investment project would be scrapped after opposition within football.
- The proposal involved minority, non-controlling stakes in a subsidiary overseeing commercial operations and events, including World Cups.
- UEFA and its 55 member associations had threatened to boycott FIFA competitions unless the proposal was withdrawn and private ownership excluded.
- European Commission officials rejected Italy’s proposal to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area, emphasizing protection of the EU’s external borders.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni urged extraordinary measures, while Denmark and Finland supported reconsidering Spain’s participation in Schengen.
- Spain condemned Italy’s position and summoned its ambassador in Madrid to lodge a formal protest.
- Russian ballistic-missile strikes killed nine people and wounded 28 in Kyiv, including four children, Ukraine’s state emergency service said.
- The attack hit five Kyiv areas, damaging homes, vehicles and a five-storey residential building, while fires and rubble prompted rescue operations.
- Authorities reported seven deaths and 14 injuries in Darnytsky district, and two deaths and eight injuries in Solomiansky district.
AI-generated illustration- Saudi Arabia and 13 countries announced a coalition focused on navigation security in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
- The Saudi Defence Ministry said members will coordinate intelligence, operational planning, exercises and maritime missions, without specifying national ship or aircraft commitments.
- Delegates from 43 of 51 invited countries attended the founding meeting, which included a European Union delegation, the ministry reported.
- The Spanish government said Armed Forces personnel would support the Civil Guard and help maintain security in Ceuta.
- Officials reported nine deaths after migrants attempted to reach the enclave, including by swimming around the border fence.
- Ceuta President Juan Jesús Vivas said more than 1,500 migrants had arrived by sea in recent days, overwhelming facilities for unaccompanied minors.
AI-generated illustration- More than 1,500 migrants reached Ceuta by sea from Morocco during the past week, local authorities said.
- Many arrivals swam toward the enclave using wetsuits and inflatable devices, according to local authorities.
- Ceuta authorities said reception centres were overwhelmed and requested an emergency response from Madrid.
- The Berlin Pride attack has intensified scrutiny of juvenile-court decisions after Abdul Ballout was released weeks before the incident.
- Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt said he intends to examine possible changes to Germany’s juvenile criminal law.
- Germany’s Joint Counter-Terrorism Center had classified Ballout as dangerous, but that assessment did not reach the Berlin court before sentencing.
- Fifty-five UEFA associations unanimously backed a boycott of the World Cup and FIFA’s other competitions over its commercial plan.
- AFC President Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa said FIFA’s failure to consult the confederation before announcing the proposal was unacceptable.
- FIFA proposes a $20 billion subsidiary, FIFA Forward Enterprise, with outside investors holding a minority stake without control.