Topic briefing

Morocco

A focused collection of verified briefs connected to Morocco, ordered by latest activity.

Refine in archive →

Latest activity

5 verified briefs

Newest material development first
01Living brief
v6
PoliticsMorocco · CanadaUpdated 06 Aug 2026, 05:10 UTC

FIFA executives back Infantino as Carney withdraws support

  • FIFA said its leadership continues to support President Gianni Infantino after an emergency meeting in Salé, Morocco.
  • The organization apologized to its 211 member federations and FIFA Council for errors in handling the withdrawn proposal.
  • FIFA said the proposal to sell a stake in a company managing event commercial rights would not proceed.
02Living brief
v2
PoliticsTo be verifiedUpdated 01 Aug 2026, 12:10 UTC

22 EU leaders seek emergency talks on Ceuta migration crisis

  • Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
  • The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
  • Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
03Living brief
v3
PoliticsTo be verifiedUpdated 01 Aug 2026, 08:55 UTC

EU rejects Italy’s call to suspend Spain from Schengen

  • European Commission officials rejected Italy’s proposal to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area, emphasizing protection of the EU’s external borders.
  • Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni urged extraordinary measures, while Denmark and Finland supported reconsidering Spain’s participation in Schengen.
  • Spain condemned Italy’s position and summoned its ambassador in Madrid to lodge a formal protest.
04Living brief
v4
PoliticsTo be verifiedUpdated 30 Jul 2026, 19:30 UTC

Spain Plans Ceuta Security Deployment After Migrant Arrivals

  • The Spanish government said Armed Forces personnel would support the Civil Guard and help maintain security in Ceuta.
  • Officials reported nine deaths after migrants attempted to reach the enclave, including by swimming around the border fence.
  • Ceuta President Juan Jesús Vivas said more than 1,500 migrants had arrived by sea in recent days, overwhelming facilities for unaccompanied minors.
05Living brief
v5
AI-generated illustration
PoliticsTo be verifiedUpdated 30 Jul 2026, 18:32 UTC

Ceuta authorities declare emergency after migrant arrivals

  • More than 1,500 migrants reached Ceuta by sea from Morocco during the past week, local authorities said.
  • Many arrivals swam toward the enclave using wetsuits and inflatable devices, according to local authorities.
  • Ceuta authorities said reception centres were overwhelmed and requested an emergency response from Madrid.