Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- FIFA said its leadership continues to support President Gianni Infantino after an emergency meeting in Salé, Morocco.
- The organization apologized to its 211 member federations and FIFA Council for errors in handling the withdrawn proposal.
- FIFA said the proposal to sell a stake in a company managing event commercial rights would not proceed.
- Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
- The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
- Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
- European Commission officials rejected Italy’s proposal to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area, emphasizing protection of the EU’s external borders.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni urged extraordinary measures, while Denmark and Finland supported reconsidering Spain’s participation in Schengen.
- Spain condemned Italy’s position and summoned its ambassador in Madrid to lodge a formal protest.
- The Spanish government said Armed Forces personnel would support the Civil Guard and help maintain security in Ceuta.
- Officials reported nine deaths after migrants attempted to reach the enclave, including by swimming around the border fence.
- Ceuta President Juan Jesús Vivas said more than 1,500 migrants had arrived by sea in recent days, overwhelming facilities for unaccompanied minors.
AI-generated illustration- More than 1,500 migrants reached Ceuta by sea from Morocco during the past week, local authorities said.
- Many arrivals swam toward the enclave using wetsuits and inflatable devices, according to local authorities.
- Ceuta authorities said reception centres were overwhelmed and requested an emergency response from Madrid.