Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
- The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
- Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
- The Interior Ministry said Tuesday that evacuation orders covering 13 municipalities in two wildfire-affected areas had been withdrawn.
- Government figures showed nearly 100,000 people affected across Castile and León, Madrid and Castile-La Mancha; over 63,000 evacuated and 35,000 confined.
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said firefighting conditions had improved in some areas but warned that the next hours would remain difficult.