Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
- The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
- Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
- European Commission officials rejected Italy’s proposal to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area, emphasizing protection of the EU’s external borders.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni urged extraordinary measures, while Denmark and Finland supported reconsidering Spain’s participation in Schengen.
- Spain condemned Italy’s position and summoned its ambassador in Madrid to lodge a formal protest.
- The Spanish government said Armed Forces personnel would support the Civil Guard and help maintain security in Ceuta.
- Officials reported nine deaths after migrants attempted to reach the enclave, including by swimming around the border fence.
- Ceuta President Juan Jesús Vivas said more than 1,500 migrants had arrived by sea in recent days, overwhelming facilities for unaccompanied minors.
AI-generated illustration- More than 1,500 migrants reached Ceuta by sea from Morocco during the past week, local authorities said.
- Many arrivals swam toward the enclave using wetsuits and inflatable devices, according to local authorities.
- Ceuta authorities said reception centres were overwhelmed and requested an emergency response from Madrid.
- Spain’s interior ministry ended evacuation orders for 15 municipalities, allowing some residents west of Madrid to return to fire-damaged communities.
- France’s Gironde wildfire has displaced more than 220,000 people, destroyed 240 houses and prompted nearly 60,000 residents to return after officials reported stabilization.
- Spain’s AEMET forecast a heatwave from Wednesday, with temperatures reaching 42°C in the northeast and 39°C in central areas.
- The Interior Ministry said Tuesday that evacuation orders covering 13 municipalities in two wildfire-affected areas had been withdrawn.
- Government figures showed nearly 100,000 people affected across Castile and León, Madrid and Castile-La Mancha; over 63,000 evacuated and 35,000 confined.
- Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said firefighting conditions had improved in some areas but warned that the next hours would remain difficult.
AI-generated illustration- Wildfires remain concentrated in southwestern France and central and eastern Spain, with Gironde, western Madrid, Ávila, Toledo and Castellón among the worst-affected areas.
- At least 122,000 hectares have burned in Spain and France, while more than 320,000 people were evacuated and three firefighters died.
- The European Union deployed aircraft, helicopters and firefighting teams from several countries, with additional German helicopters and Turkish aircraft expected for Spain.
- Spain’s prime minister said firefighters were beginning to see signs of progress in battling the forest fires.
- More than 50,000 hectares have burned in Ávila, near Madrid.
- The fires are among the most severe recorded in Spanish history, according to the report.
- Firefighting costs for Spain’s 172,396 fire-affected hectares this year could range from €1.723 billion to €3.275 billion, based on two per-hectare estimates.
- The Labour Ministry has prepared measures covering wages and social-security contributions for workers unable to reach workplaces because of fires.
- Madrid’s regional government approved financial aid for farms affected by fires in the western Sierra, while thousands of livestock reportedly died or lacked essentials.
AI-generated illustration- President Emmanuel Macron scheduled an emergency cabinet session on Monday as firefighters worked to contain a major blaze in southwestern France.
- Gironde officials described conditions as generally stable after overnight firefighting, while flames remained within 15 kilometers of Bordeaux.
- The fire threatened a metropolitan area of roughly 850,000 residents, authorities said.
AI-generated illustration- Wildfires in France and Spain have displaced more than 250,000 people, including 70,000 evacuees in central Spain.
- France is preparing an A400M aircraft to spread fire retardant over the Gironde blaze, Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said.
- Authorities ordered evacuations west of Bordeaux as shifting winds threatened to push the fire toward the city.