Living news archive
Find the brief that matters.
Search verified English-language briefs by event, person, place, category or date. Results follow the latest development in each story.
- Twenty-two EU leaders requested an emergency videoconference of interior ministers to coordinate the bloc’s response to migrant arrivals in Ceuta.
- The signatories said they were seriously concerned and would consider temporary internal border controls among measures to address perceived migration and security risks.
- Spain said almost all of roughly 50,000 people who crossed from Morocco into Ceuta on Thursday had been returned.
- European Commission officials rejected Italy’s proposal to suspend Spain from the Schengen free-travel area, emphasizing protection of the EU’s external borders.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni urged extraordinary measures, while Denmark and Finland supported reconsidering Spain’s participation in Schengen.
- Spain condemned Italy’s position and summoned its ambassador in Madrid to lodge a formal protest.